View Single Post

Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Banned

Liked 3,574 Times in 1,163 Posts

My reply is not a what I might do. I can give first person info on this. My home was broken into in 1975 by 2 men and a woman. We , my wife, daughter and I were home. This was about 3 A.M. on a Friday night. They came in through a locked back porch door, through the kitchen, down a hall to my daughter's bedroom door. Her door was always locked with a door chain to the hall. Her bedroom attached ours. I heard a BUMP sat up and looked into her room and she was sitting straight up in her bed. The half shepard half collie that slept by her bed was hunched down and growling at the door caught on the chain lock. This sequence took all of 5 seconds. I rolled out of the bed, told my wife to call the police {pre 911 days}, and grabbed a Stevens 311 loaded with 00. When I went through my daughter's bedroom she passed me going to her Mother. I opened the door to the sound of breaking glass where 2 of the 3 had torn a full glass storm door down making there escape. I caught the 3rd and oldest man. The police came and by noon they had the other 2. The chain lock door that we had taken so many laughs from friends about, saved the day by giving us the few seconds we needed to get going. My daughter was 6 and able to quickly do exactly what we had planned for..IN ADVANCE. If you do not have a plan, you are doomed. You cannot cover ever possible problem, but the basics will get you through. I have trained with Ken Hackathorn 3 times, he is the real deal. His tactics are not based on theory, he has seen the elephant, and killed him! His thought on racking a shotgun were simple, you are telling a career criminal..Shoot Me Now! I don't have to wonder what I will do if my house is broken into. It has been and I am still here. I could have easily shot the home invader, and gotten off. Partly because times were different then. But I was justified. There was no reason to shoot him, he got rid of his weapon QUICKLY and gave up. Please remember the Triad of Safety...be aware..have a plan..have a weapon. The one thing in this group you can do without is the weapon! We do many things here just so people can experience them, that way when it happens it isn't a complete surprise. Shoot from doors, from windows, from moving cars, behind furniture, under cars, under beds. Above all do not get caught cold without a plan. Remember, PANICK is a reasonable reaction to a problem with no forethought solution. Carry every step..shoot every day.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: