View Single Post

Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Liked 207 Times in 100 Posts

Denver Dick, glad you were able to see those postings from myself and others on the 10mmFirearms forum. (The poster that had the case blowout, must have dropped his photo account or moved things, so his pictures are no longer viewable)
I think that PPU brass is on the stiff side, less malleable due impart to the alloy and it being worked in the stampings to form it. Probably they skip one of the annealing steps forming the cups, to soften the alloy.

As seen with Ascension's picture (thanks for sharing it BTW), this sort of split shows brittle and less malleable alloy as it is fired, initial expansion causes it to tear rather than stretch. I have seen many Federal 10mm brass split on the initial firings as retrieved from the FBI range over the years.

Use of faster burning powders can also contribute to splitting brass as it will expanded faster than it can flow or stretch.

Having an understanding of what to look for, will go a long way with respect to safety if you are reloading any cartridges!