View Single Post

Old 12-14-2016, 04:03 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,135 Times in 1,146 Posts

If you have your home built, as I did, you can have an extra switch installed in the master bedroom that controls all the lights in the "common areas" such as the living/dining/kitchen/hall/pantry/laundry room/garage/outside. We have the typical "light/ceiling fan" double switch next to the master bedroom door. Next to it with a separate plate is the "master light switch." If the alarm and/or the dog (60 pound Lab mix) alert me, I arm myself, wake my wife (if she isn't already), direct her to call 9-1-1 on her cell phone and stay on the line. (She arms herself, too!) Then I flip the "magic switch" and every light in the house (almost) comes on! I'm in the process of installing an intercom that allows me to alert the other bedrooms (if we have guests) and warn intruders that they are about to meet Ben (the Lab mix) and me and/or their maker if they aren't gone when the doors open.

Yeah, it cost me a bit extra to have the lights connected to the extra switch with an override (if the light is already on it stays on), but we think it was worth it. There may be wireless switches that allow you to do the same thing.
Luke 22:36
The Following User Likes This Post: