View Single Post

Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Liked 9,404 Times in 4,215 Posts

Thoger, it's a vicarious pleasure for me to be involved in the planning and execution of a custom build... even somebody else's half way around the world! Please keep us in the loop as your project unfolds.

As for prices of the donor guns mentioned, $450-650 (USD of course) is getting to be about normal here for decent, pre-lock S&W revolvers with adjustable sights... those prices aren't out of line. BTW, you saved a bunch of gunsmithing cost by finding the right barrel and cylinder. Those items in that caliber are in very high demand, thus hard to find and pretty costly here in the US. They were good finds for you. I also agree with the concept of starting with good stuff to avoid labor costs later, that is a very wise strategy. If you go back and read the 3 page thread from my Project 616 build a few years ago, you will see I didn't always follow my own advice, and consequently paid for it! BTW, I used an unpinned barrel on a pinned frame... that was no problem since the GS just drilled the hole/groove in the barrel at installation. Getting the recessed vs non-recessed cylinder matchup is probably more critical.

Welcome to our group insanity and congratulations on getting started on what should be a great custom gun project. I especially want to hear about any special effort or challenges you need to deal with there in Norway and to see pictures of your build as it gets done. I'm sure several of us will also want to exchange reloading data (probably by PM) when you get to that point.

Best regards,
Charlie the Frog
The Following 3 Users Like Post: