View Single Post

Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
Really?

The metallurgy of 4150 vs. 4140 steel is immaterial to all but most abusive shooters. For most, the difference will only matter to the shooter's grandchildren.

The mid-length gas system is something of note as every inch makes a big difference in the temperature (and hence errosivity) of the returning gas.

Everything else in the post is a matter of personal preference and so only makes one rifle "better" than another in the opinion of the particular buyer. These are not absolute superiorities.
Yes really.

You sound like you disagree on the barrel material, yet you admit that the difference could be advantageous to abusive shooters and to the shooter's grandchildren... so really you do agree with me. Because if you look back at what I said, I said it is a better rifle "on paper".

Looks like you agree that the midlength gas system has some advantageous over the carbine.

I agree that furniture is a personal preference, but almost any hand guard with a heat shield is better than what comes on the Sport. (yet I still have the factory furniture on my Sport )

Full auto bolt carrier vs semi auto bolt carrier... Maybe the advantages can only be measured by guys in lab coats, but they agree that it is better for the reliability of the rifle. After all, the semi auto bolt was brought on by gun control measures to ensure that a semi rifle could not be modified into a full auto, not because it was better for the operation of the rifle. Again, still using what came stock in my Sport, as I wouldn't spend money to replace a working part, but when buying one for a build, I bought the full auto carrier.

Trigger... a slicked up trigger is better than a stock trigger. If I were buying a replacement trigger, it may not be the one I would choose, but it could be enough improvement to make a guy stick with it vs. a replacement trigger. Again, my Sport has the stock trigger... rifle built for my son does not have a stock GI trigger.

With a good shooter and quality ammo, does all of this make a difference that can be seen at the range? Maybe, maybe not. But on paper, spec wise, the Saint is the better rifle. Whether it is the better buy for your use is a different conversation.
The Following User Likes This Post: