View Single Post

Old 12-17-2016, 10:04 PM

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

I purchased a Victory today at an auction. Mechanically it is 100% sound and I have no issues firing it, but cosmetically, it is pretty rough.

But I bought it because it was cheap, and it has a very low serial number. It is serial number V2973. Its the lowest number I've ever seen.

I can't really find any military stampings on the gun. Right under the cylinder release, there is a light hand engraving that reads "USG 6566".

The cylinder is stamped with a V and 2973. The back of the ejector star is stamped 2973. So serial number matches there.

The frame is stamped "M 35764"and the crane stamped "35764". So those match as well.

Barrel is stamped V2973 as well. I did notice something weird about the barrel, but maybe it is normal. If I run my finger along the sides, and as much of the bottom as possible, it feels pretty smooth. But along the top, between site and frame, it feels "rippled" slightly. I can almost make out what looks to be a series of flat-ish spots. The bore feels complete smooth though. Maybe some guy used the top of the barrel as a hammer at some point?

Chambered in .38 S&W Special. 4" Barrel. Original swivel has been replaced with some modern aftermarket job. A vintage off a salvage gun is on its way to me.

I heard the first 40,000 were all US Navy guns and serial #'s started with 1. So I assume this was one of those guns?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. I'm thinking it's better to leave it with its "character" than try to make it cosmetically pretty.

Do these early numbers sell for any kind of premium? I'm torn between keeping and selling.

Last edited by KYThrill; 12-18-2016 at 01:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: