View Single Post

Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Banned

Liked 3,574 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Actually, no. It was in western NYS, adult male, all shots forward of the lateral midline. There was very little question as to its justifiability.

This case you mention, though, is a great example of what happens after the shooting.

--The victim's family is consulted for public testimony: "'At no point, from the homeowners'...testimony, the account of the events, did he ever describe Caleb in any way being aggressive."
Doesn't matter a ton in this case. He approached the homeowner, ignored pleas to leave, and approached a bedroom the homeowner knew to be occupied. A reasonable person could conclude he wasn't acting normally. He ignored the presence of a firearm, and continued towards the bedroom even after he'd been shot. It's also entirely reasonable to conclude that if he entered the bedroom, the situation could easily escalate from "intruder" to "intruder with hostage".

--The deceased's sins are forgiven. Note the neck-up picture used of a smiling teen--not a full-body shot showing his height and build. And more unsworn public testimony from friends: "He's not much of a drinker, but he just wanted to try some that night."
The deceased tweeted, "Honestly who's throwin a party tonight?!", and "Somebody make a party right now. I'm tryna have fun tonight no lie."

--Ignorance rains supreme. After-the-fact quarterbacking suggestions from the family are given credence: "You could have...shot him in the leg. Instead, he lined himself up at the perfect angle to shoot a hollow point bullet through my son's lung and explode his chest and then a fourth shot at his head for good measure."
Deadly physical force is deadly physical force. Whether you aim at a person's head, chest, or leg, it's still deadly physical force. Take note of how the grieving mother is allowed to describe a situation she did not witness, and ascribe intent and motivation to a man she's never met. Grounds for objection in a courtroom, but not in the court of public opinion. Also note the vilification of hollowpoint ammunition--indeed, it can be argued that hollowpoints increase the subject's chances of success, by effecting a "stop" with fewer hits.

All throughout this, you, and the police, are not allowed to respond. Media attention will wane long before the case is closed and the truth is allowed to be broadcast.

That, friends, is what happens when someone is shot. The public and the media cannot accept that the deceased, in this case, is a victim of underage drinking and his own poor decisions. Someone still alive must be held to blame. Make no mistake, what happened was a tragedy. The errors of youth shouldn't cost a young man his life, but the reality is that they do--all the time.

Hence, why I advocate for avoiding the use of deadly force where it is possible to do so safely, even beyond one's strict legal duties. In a shooting, one life is taken, and another is, as often as not, ruined.
We had a trial in this state 2 weeks ago that ended in a hung jury. It was a slam dunk for the prosecution, the TV stations across the state showed an officer shooting a fleeing suspect at least once a week while the trial was coming. Well over a year that's all we saw, in fact all the nation saw. When the trial came ALL of the video was shown and there was NO way to get a guilty verdict from 12 thinking people. So then for several days the media reported there was 1 hold out that would not give a guilty verdict. Then we find out from the jury foreman there were 5 holdouts. Local media, national media, all liars of the first sort. If you have a justifiable shooting on or in your property be prepared for trouble from every angle. When my invasion occurred, in the 70s, we lived in a different world. I was able to capture 1 of the 3 which made it possible to have the other 2 in jail in just hours. Today, my life's experiences have taught me a whole different set of rules. Unfortunately, I have to live by these rules BUT only up to a point.