View Single Post

Old 12-18-2016, 11:03 PM

Liked 29,249 Times in 13,829 Posts
Default Good performance for snub SD load........

I was disappointed with the velocities I was getting out of my Model 36 (all steel j frame), in the 550 to 750 fps range, so I started working on finding a better defense load.

I was thinking of using 125 grain Speer Gold Dots to get the velocity up, but decided that it would be difficult to get adequate velocity needed for expansion from the numbers I was getting. So I thought that 135 grain short barrel Gold Dots would be worth a try.

I loaded the 135 grain, GDs on top of 6.4 grains of Power Pistol and finally got to the range today and shot over the chrony. Shots averaged 957 fps. By about the third shot they started to sting, but not bad enough to worry me in a defense situation.

Now another challenge. We have an airweight J frame that is a bear to shoot anything above target rounds. I put a Hogue Monogrip on it that should help the recoil some. What velocity will I be able to get with the 135 grain GDs in the alloy airweight without knocking my hand off. My wife likes the J frames, too, to hold. My son and I shot some warm loads in the airweight. Both of of us said, "There ain't no way Mom's going to be able to shoot this." So I'm hoping I can get a monogrip for the 36 and let her use that at the expense of a tad more weight. I haven't tried clocking anything through the airweight yet.