View Single Post

Old 12-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

The Gen3 Glop19 I purchased about 20 years came with factory night sights. I think manufactured by Meprolight. It was something like $40 more than a Glop with standard sights.

At the time I figured why not. Pretty much the same way I look at it today. And... to my surprise they are still glowing 24/7. Now they're supposed to dim by half after 12 years and half again the following 12 years. So based on that assumption I'm probably glowing at 1/3 capacity and maybe need to do something about it... eh... maybe not. I'll have to do some deep thinking about the economics-- $40 over 20 years... Anyone got a calculator?

Anyway... In certain low light conditions I can more easily pick up the night sights than regular sights-- low light conditions that still allow me to identify the target. So in that regard I disagree with the notion that night sights are necesarily of no help unless lighting is so minimal that you can't identify the target anyway.

Shooting at an indoor range with the lights off years ago... (it helps to know the owner)... after the first shot the muzzle blast makes the target more difficult to see but I could still well see the night sights.

All in all... I haven't found the amortized cost much of a downside nor the potential practical advantage something to be a great advocate for. But in a particular situation under certain light conditions they may be useful in a self defense situation.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 12-19-2016 at 12:37 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: