View Single Post

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 AM

Liked 26,158 Times in 9,069 Posts

The only advantage a turret press has over a single stage Is the number of dies you can set up at the same time. (Lee 3&4, most 6, & Redding 7.)

However with Hornady's Lock-N-Load bushings, the dies are set in bushings, and snap in and out of the press in about 10 seconds. Hornady makes a kit to adapt you Rock Chucker to use the L-N-L Bushings, it comes with 3 bushings and 10 packs are also sold (about $3.25 for each bushing).

This is a true space saver. The standard dies with a bushing can be stores in the most original boxes (Not Lee round boxes or 4 die box). I use this set up on my Rock Chucker and have about 25-30 bushings. It is a great system for really short dies, they can be installed, adjusted, and Loctited in place without a nut. It is also very useful for "one die accessories" such as bullet pullers, old style trim dies, Lee cast bullet size dies, and LIGHT DUTY case forming dies. A friend has cartridges based on the Hornet case that require minor forming and L-N-L has held up fine for several years.

What you can't do is; Use dies set for a L-N-L single stage press and then put them in a Lock-N-Load AP (progressive) press. There is too much variation in loading height. Oh, you can use them, but they must be re-adjusted to each press.

My bench has a Dillon 550b, a Rock Chucker adapted to L-N-L, and a Redding T-7. All get used often!

My personal policy is, batches of ammo over 250 or 300 get loaded on the 550b, under 250 get loaded on a turret or Rock Chucker. But with adjusted "bushinged" dies you can do a very small batch, switch to another cartridge and come back after testing.

I do leave 3 sets of my bench rest/competition dies set up in my Redding T-7 all the time. 223: both neck and FL and seating, 308: FL & seating, and 338 Lapua: FL & seating.

Have fun deciding!

Ivan
The Following 2 Users Like Post: