Thread: Gun solvent
View Single Post

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Liked 25,615 Times in 8,661 Posts

Since my newest S&W was built in 1994 Hoppes has had no ill effects for me. I have used GALLONS of it over the years but have been using Rig #2 Oil almost exclusively for years now. Not because the Hoppes caused any damage, but because my wife does not agree with me that it smells great.

S&W has changed their Bluing methods and apparently their new Bluing is not nearly as durable and will not stand up to Ammoniated products.

I would definitely suggest NOT using Hoppes #9 on NEW Smiths as they will not honor their warranty if you use products they specifically tell you not to use. I'd find a less aggressive cleaner like Rig#2 Oil, Remoil, etc that doesn't contain Ammonia. Not only does Rig #2 NOT contain Ammonia, but it will NOT harm wood, plastic, Polymers, aluminum, rubber, etc. It is not as aggressive a cleaner as the #9, HOWEVER if like me you clean your gun after each shooting session, it has no problem cleaning the gun. It also lubes and protects against rust under normal conditions. It is a VERY good product and has been on the market for at least 35 years that I am aware of - maybe longer.

From what I understand, this is exactly why Hoppes recently came out with Ammonia-free Hoppes Elite. I have not used it yet but I would imagine that it would not clean as well as the #9 - but won't be as harsh and/or aggressive. Once again, if all you are cleaning out of your gun is the most recent Range sessions dirt, you should still be fine. I still do use Hoppes #9 when I acquire an older previously owned gun for its initial cleaning and to remove the years of crud on most used guns. As a pure cleaner it is one if the BEST!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: