View Single Post

Old 12-20-2016, 12:42 PM

Liked 81,379 Times in 18,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
You've got a gun to deal with predators on two or four legs, right? Extremely low likelihood, but you still lug it around.

What about a car accident? Fire? Get stuck in snow? Car breaks down and heater doesn't work? Come upon someone else caught in an emergency situation?

You're a lot more likely to be caught outside when you don't expect it, than to face an attack on your life. Dress like you mean it. Never assume you'll be going straight from indoors, to a warm car, and back again. It doesn't take long to get real damn cold.

Ask me how I know.

Folks around here happily send their kids to school in idiot things like gym shorts and hoodies when the temps are in the single digits and the wind's howling. They're operating on that "won't be out long" assumption. Guess what happens every time a schoolbus gets stuck or has an accident someplace remote? A bunch of kids go to the hospital with hypothermia.
Been there, done that. We keep Down blankets, road flares, extra water, first aid supplies and extra insulating layers in both vehicles. Along with the usual spare tire, jack, etc...
Last time I was involved in a winter accident, I stuck my hands in my pockets and walked a coupla miles to town in the snow.
Why didn't I use a cell phone? No cell signal back then.
Now we don't havta go anywhere if we don't feel like it. If it's nasty out we stay home and stay warm.
My wife works one day a week away from home as a home health care aid and walks to work.
Ever since West Virginia declared me as an unemployable useless cripple, I've been on disability so I don't havta go anywhere.