View Single Post

Old 12-20-2016, 06:38 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,847 Times in 5,284 Posts

I like 'em.

I carried a personally owned Sig 220 for 25 years with the FBI. I bought it on my Dad's FFL when I was still in Quantico - 533 precious 1991 dollars. I had a wife and a six month old son and had just taken a large pay cut from Air Force Captain to Bureau New Guy. The gun was a tough sell (Wife: Don't they GIVE you a gun?) so I didn't get night sights.

The deal at the time was the Bureau wouldn't buy night sights for personally owned weapons (POWs), but would install them and replace them on the taxpayer's dime as needed. So, once we were in our first duty station, I squeezed 90 bucks out of the budget (Wife: It didn't COME with sights?) and had some Trijicons installed.

I'm glad I did. Though I endeavored mightily to only arrest felons in the daytime, often their schedules conflicted and I found myself in a smelly darkened stairwell or at a dimly lit back door with only my German roscoe and the friendly glow of those night sights to cheer me up.

On a more pragmatic note, they certainly help with low light qualifications. Despite many years of law enforcement and quite a few rounds downrange as a firearms instructor I never reached ninja status where I could know with certainty where exactly my sights were without seeing them.

And finally, if your work (or lifestyle - who am I to judge?) requires you to conk out in strange and sometimes seedy hotel rooms, those 3 glowing orbs on the nightstand serve as wonderful "orienters" should things go bump in the night.

To answer the OP's question, Do you need night sights?: No. Until you do, then: Yes

Last edited by sigp220.45; 12-20-2016 at 07:15 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: