Thread: Gun solvent
View Single Post

Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
I might also suggest that anyone mixing up a batch of Ed's Red definitely leave out the Acetone! Acetone will not be kind to plastics, wood and other misc finishes that are around or near firearms. I can tell you my Wife has left her mark on furniture and counter tops with her nail polish remover which is Acetone. I have a can of it in my work shop and it will eat through my Nitrile gloves in a matter of seconds. I strongly dislike Acetone and only use it when absolutely necessary.
The mix with the acetone is best used only in the bore and not left on wood , plastic or the new S&W finishes , it will affect them. Wipe it off after cleaning or leave it out altogether . The ATF and Kerosene make a good general purpose cleaner-lubricant-preservative (CLP) all by itself.
If you use the strong stuff just be careful, it's an old school bore cleaner, predating WWII and designed to cut powder and copper fouling in military rifles , not be gentle , enviromentaly friendly and green. That stuff hadn't been invented back then.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 12-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.