Thread: Gun solvent
View Single Post

Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

I've been using the Hoppes Elite cleaner for over a year. I don't shoot as much these days and therefore do not clean as much, but I don't allow my guns to get really dirty before cleaning either. The Elite cleaner has worked well for me, and I like the fact that I don't have to worry about getting it on my skin. I still keep that to a minimum and wash up immediately after use. This cleaner may not be as aggressive as some, but that's OK for me.

I generally swab the bore with a wet patch first of all, then allow it to sit and soak until I finish the rest of my cleaning activity. Last thing I do is to run a brush through the bore two or three times, all the way through and back out again. I then use a bore size round patch pusher to push clean dry patches through the bore one way. I usually catch the patch and turn it over and push it through again. Then I get a clean patch and do it over. Usually, I get a clean patch by the fourth trip through. The Elite cleaner looks and feels a bit "soapy". It has little odor, though I never minded the #9 smell. I have had no negative issues with the Elite cleaner. I may not be as anal as some when cleaning, but I like to be finished with a clean dry patch through the bore with no sign of fouling on it. I usually save that last clean patch or two for use as the initial swab patch through the bore next time. Guess I am unwilling to throw them away till I've gotten my money's worth out of them! For me, I like the Elite Cleaner just fine. There is cheaper stuff, but it works for me, it's in a handy container that I can spray with the pump in areas where that works best. I usually buy the larger size pump sprayer, and pour some of the liquid into a small squeeze bottle for applications to my patches or maybe onto a tooth brush style cleaning brush. I recommend it!