View Single Post

Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Oregon View Post
For those of us who want our guns to meet certain specs, comparing the Sport II to the Saint is apples and oranges.

The biggest difference is the twist rate. While a 1:9 (SII) compared to 1:8 (SAS) does not seem like much, it is if you primarily shoot lighter bullets. 1:9 is the maximum twist I accept in a 223.

And while I'm sure the Saint is a great deal *IF* you like the furniture it comes with.... what if you don't and would change it anyway?
Then you would choose another rifle because you are removing the "value" that the SA represents. For me unless an off the shelf rifles configuration including furniture appeals to you there is no need to buy it. The whole purpose of off the shelf guns like the Sport II or SA are buying a gun that doesn't need changes to shoot it.

There is nothing wrong with the Sport II's configuration if it meets the desired need. If they drop back down to $500 I might buy 3 of them for truck/car carbines. Throw it in the trunk and not worry about it but in a pinch I have a self defense carbine ready to go. I would not need a rail or anything special I need iron sights and for it to function.

In the end I would ask the same question you asked me about the Saint about the Sport II. Why do so many people buy it but replace the furniture before it has seen 1000 round through it. You shooting light bullets and wanting a 1/9 twist puts you in the minority of shooters but if that is what you want the Sport may represent value for you. Its all a matter of perspective and needs.

What does not make any sense to me is what I see far too often here. Someone buys the Sport II based on price point and name recognition. They buy it because it is $500 to $650. They really know nothing about it or what they really want in a AR15 but they gotta have one. They then proceed to spend $200-$300 swapping parts to get the rifle they really want when they could have bought the rifle or built the rifle they "really" wanted for less than the Sport II + the upgrades. If you don't like the furniture on Saint then don't buy it.

My point is that for people who like the BCM stuff, or want a more comfortable grip and a rail system, the SA it represents value. Most of the entry level buyers who are buying entry level rifles don't know what they like. They do not necessarily have "gear" preferences but IHMO the BCM stuff like the stock and the handgaurd make the rifle more comfortable to shoot over the milspec stuff. The BCM rail having M-lok slots makes it better than the Sport IIs unlined GI handguards. Maybe you don't agree. If you don't buy a complete rifle that has what you want on it or build it.

Personally I am not choosing either. If I wanted and entry level rifle I would buy a PSA lower parts kit with stock of choice. $129 + $35 Anderson lower + $99 LaRue MBT trigger and a $259 to $299 PSA Complete upper with Keymond or M Lok rail Magpul sights included and a $99 PSA tested FA BCG with a charging handle.

I would be out the door at $661.

Or I would buy Aero OEM $449 with a mid gas system and put an Aero keymod or Mlok rail for $79 plus a stock of choice figure $75. Then add BUIS for $89.

I would be out the door at $698 with transfer.

Either of these configurations will perform as well of better than the Saint or the Sport II IMHO.
Especially the PSA build because the trigger in that build is far superior to even the BCM PNT found in the Saint. Clearly YMMV.

Last edited by WVSig; 12-22-2016 at 04:03 PM.