View Single Post

Old 12-22-2016, 04:23 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovishound View Post
For many of us the cost of some tools is prohibitive. I am in a position now to afford a good progressive, if I really want one. A few years ago, if I had laid out the money for a Dillon progressive, I would have had to quit shooting altogether and save for several years to afford the tools. By the time I got everything together, I'm not sure I would still have been interested in the hobby.
Possibly for someone that just doesn't shoot a lot then even reloading might mot make sense. If you shoot even 1200rds a year, the cost of even the best progressive is easily amortized over say 10yrs, $1200 / 120 = $10 a month. For those on a fixed income, that isn't difficult, but then the time saved allows you to make or scrounge more $$ too.
My first 550 cost me $250. It paid for itself in less than 4m loading 45colt for CAS. Today that machine is worth $400+. Just saying, too many people put little value on their time & only look at the $$$s. I can always make/scrounge $$$. Time on the other hand is always fleeting.
Another way to look at a progressive is it saves me time reloading so I can spend time doing things like bullet casting. So I "save" even more on my ammo cost. Just saying, reloaders shouldn't get too hung up on equip costs if the equip saves you time.

Last edited by fredj338; 12-22-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: