View Single Post

Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 PM

Liked 29,238 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default When I load .357 and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Possibly for someone that just doesn't shoot a lot then even reloading might mot make sense. If you shoot even 1200rds a year, the cost of even the best progressive is easily amortized over say 10yrs, $1200 / 120 = $10 a month. For those on a fixed income, that isn't difficult, but then the time saved allows you to make or scrounge more $$ too.
My first 550 cost me $250. It paid for itself in less than 4m loading 45colt for CAS. Today that machine is worth $400+. Just saying, too many people put little value on their time & only look at the $$$s. I can always make/scrounge $$$. Time on the other hand is always fleeting.
Another way to look at a progressive is it saves me time reloading so I can spend time doing things like bullet casting. So I "save" even more on my ammo cost. Just saying, reloaders shouldn't get too hung up on equip costs if the equip saves you time.
When I load .357 or rifle rounds, the saving become very apparent. Bullets are the most expensive component (not counting brass which is reused) and if you can find cheaper bullets you can save 10-15 cents/round. I load lead RN bullets in my 30-06 and shoot reduced loads. CHEAP fun!!!

9mm is cheap now, but if I reload I can afford to shoot more per month than if I bought new ammo, so I see some sort of savings there. Fortunately, since I'm retired I can make time to do all the little detail parts of reloading even the cheap stuff. If I were still working I'd probably think differently.