View Single Post

Old 12-23-2016, 12:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,372 Times in 5,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Have stopped worrying so much about expansion from snub, care more about controllability and poa=poi. A 158 gn lead with large meplat at about 750-800 fps may be given consideration, and possibly penetrate adequately from various angles.

While they are close range defense weapons, there is a large difference in poi between a light fast bullet and a large slower one.

Just an opinion
I agree absolutely. Fixed sight revolvers are typically "regulated" for "standard ammunition", which in .38 Special is likely to be 158-grain bullets. Use of different bullet weights at different velocities will almost certainly result in POI (point of impact) variations from POA (point of aim). I have personally tested several different revolvers with differing ammunition and the results are enlightening. Lighter bullets at higher velocities have shorter "barrel time" (the length of time spent transiting the bore during the recoil impulse), and will almost invariably shoot lower in relation to POA. It is also not unusual for different loads to shoot well left or right of POA. Such differences can easily result in bullet placement several inches off POA at modest handgun ranges.

Also, in my experience, it is very unlikely that any commonly available ammunition will achieve its performance potential in the snub revolvers. Velocities will usually be much lower than when fired in 4" or longer barrels (frequently 100-200FPS), and terminal performance (penetration, expansion) suffer accordingly.

I'd much rather have a standard velocity .38 Special load that consistently puts the shots where I want them to go than any load that misses my intended target.

I own Model 36, Model 37 Airweight, Model 10, Model 64, and other S&W .38 Special revolvers. I stick with standard pressure and velocity ammo that I know to be compatible with the revolver in use. If I feel the need for greater performance I start thinking about a larger caliber.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: