View Single Post

Old 12-23-2016, 11:27 PM

Liked 9,091 Times in 3,362 Posts

I've never did get a turret press.
I wanted to get the Lyman Spar-T turret when I first started loading in the early 60's but the extra cost kept me with a single hole Spartan(which is still cranking out rounds in the hands of another family member to this day).
On to a CH 'H' single and then a Lyman O-Crusher. That's been it for rifle rounds and most all pistol.
I did buy a SD (no'B") in the late 70's I think it was in 38sp as I started to shoot Bullseye. What a revelation! Cranking out rounds with ease,,I loved it.
Still have it and use it occasionally. Needs a going over as some of the old delrin white plastic parts are starting to break down.
Have a 9mm conversion for it too but have never used it.

Single stage for everything else as a box is more than enough for me for a trip to the range. No AR or AK to feed.
Lots of odd ones to load, and case forming, bullet sizing up or down is part of the job on many.
Shotgun 12ga is progressive on a MEC. I shoot a lot of that every week.
20ga and 410 on MEC single stage and seems like stone-age after using the progressive but I really don't shoot enough of the small gauges to go ahead an buy progressives for them.

I'd rather shoot than reload,,but I don't necessarily find the time spent an absolute waste or a bore. Especially when case altering and making up ammo for one of the oldies to get it back shooting again.
There's more reloading 'stuff' on the shelves and in storage than I'll probably ever get to use up. But like many, I can't help looking for more bargains out there.
....like an old CH single stage press, near brand new cond, probably from the late 50's early 60's as it uses the separate rams as shell holders. Came with 5 rams, all in common sizes, both primer arms..price was $15 at a small fire-hall show. Couldn't pass that up.
...Probably good for somethin' even if I never use it..