View Single Post

Old 12-25-2016, 01:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,492 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Hooker View Post
Well said! An auto indexing LCT will give you 95% of the process control (and safety) of a single stage and an honest production rates of 4-5 rounds a minute. ( Figure 150 rounds an hour including set-up, refills, inspections etc.)
Personally, I don't like progressive presses for most reloading ( and sold mine off long ago.) With the turret, I see and feel every operation. I am part of the process. With a full progressive , there are 4-5 things going on at once so it's harder to see/feel when something goes south ( as it eventually will.)
Personally, I look at the LTC as the Chevy Truck of reloaders. Maybe not the biggest, badast and most expensive but as much ride as most will ever need.
I'm pretty interested in this thread. I started reloading brass about 3 years ago and made all the mistakes a person can make on a SS press. I know what a progressive press can do as I used to load 12ga for trap every week on one. Now that I have the basics down and understand the process it's probably time to move up. I'm loading about 10K a year of a wide assortment of cartridges, mostly 45 ACP, 357 and .223. I screw around with load development and bullets a lot.

I'm retired so have more time than money. I'm so cheap I scrounge range brass at my range. Some probably equate that to dumpster diving but I haven't bought a lot of brass since I started reloading. I don't buy any commercial ammo except 22LR. I'm more interested in getting my cost per round down than having the fastest machine on the planet. I realize for some time is a huge consideration, it was for me for a long time, but it just isn't anymore. I can see where a Dillon could be justified for some.

More and more it looks like a turret press is my best fit. I'm still trying to decide which one. I've had the same Chevy truck for 10 years, probably have it another 10 years.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 12-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.