View Single Post

Old 12-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Liked 682 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbyist View Post
Good job, Dad.

I was telling someone the other day, I remember getting my first pocket knife around 7 years old and widdled wood with it, cleaned fish, and took it camping regularly. We did a lot of camping when I was a kid. Good times. When not is use, I just put it in the kitchen drawer at home with the rest of the utensils. I guess times have changed a lot even in my lifetime, it was then and still is just a tool. Was in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, made Eagle Scout, and recall taking the class for permission to carry a knife (we were given a card, right???) and thought it was just a lot of common sense stuff; but I guess I took for granted at the time that my dad spent the time to teach me how to use one properly and the responsibility that went a long with it.

Very happy to hear of the memories for you and your son.
That card (and the pocket patch) is called your Totem Chip. Earning your Totem Chip is a big deal for a young scout. If you are observed violating a safety rule, the leader will request your Totem Chip, and cut a corner off it. Lose all four corners and you lose your ability to carry/use until you earn a new chip which involves retraining and observation of skills.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk