View Single Post

Old 12-26-2016, 05:54 PM

Liked 18,499 Times in 4,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
I agree with you 100% fred. Allow me to comment on the overall direction this thread has taken.

If one were to go to the top of this thread, read and understand the question being asked by the OP, then separate the comments offered that are basically testimonials to a specific brand of press there would be little in the way of actual useful information.

Looking a bit deeper, there are some who try to make the case that since their particular financial situation, their personal spending habits and/or their experience with a particular brand or type of tool is the only standard to measure productivity in this hobby. Just because all an individual wants or can spend for a press is $125.00 doesn't mean that everyone who is retired or has hours of free time on their hands or is committed to making high quality ammo shouldn't rejoice in the time savings that a progressive press offers.

A turret press, on a really good day, might have a practical yield of 200 rounds per hour for straight wall pistol ammo. A progressive without a case and/or bullet feeder will have a practical yield at least twice that amount. A lot of people look a theoretical yield and quote that number as gospel.

I know several handgun shooters that are in the 80s and use progressive presses. They have the time to slug it out with a turret or single stage. But their attitude is why spend the time if I don't have to?
There are some of us that simply can't afford the expense of a good progressive setup. When I went from a single stage to a turret press, that was what money I could afford to free up at the time. The turret press was a fraction of the investment of a progressive setup.

It isn't that some of us don't want a progressive. It isn't that some of us don't see the value of a progressive....
Some people simply can't justify the expense of one. My house is single income. We spend little in the way of "extras". My wife stays home with our daughters and I am the breadwinner. I can't always justify extra spending. I never complain about it. We like it this way. That is the decision we made for our family.

Will I buy a progressive press someday? I hope to. But in the mean time, to use disparaging adjectives like "tweener" to describe a type of press is of no value to anybody.

To crunch Fred's dollars and cents, he is right - the math certainly works out in the long run. For some of us, it is the initial investment that is, at least for now, out of reach.

And back to the OP's original question of
Quote:
How much does a turret press increase your output over a single stage, all thing considered.
the answer is, "A lot"

Last edited by Hillbilly77; 12-26-2016 at 07:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: