View Single Post

Old 12-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well thought out ss reloading can yield 75rds per hour but you ate busting it. A turret can double that. Is tha significant? To me no. So only the end user can define significant which in Turn is talking about time spent reloading. So some of us offer the other alternatives. Buying multiple presses at $100 a pop really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but your time & $$$.
That's my point. Although I don't understand the bolded part, unless you're suggesting that the progressive is something one would inevitably want, which I don't agree with. But you did hit on convenience. I think it's a lot simpler to run a turret than a single-stage, and more convenient. If you have to stop halfway through a session with a turret or a progressive, you just have an odd box of ammo and a hopper to empty. If you're on a single-stage, that's a bit more of a problem.

But yeah, I think going from 75 an hour to a very comfortable 150 or so is a big deal. I also think that going from 150 to 400 an hour (turret to progressive) is a big deal.

But for somebody like me, that's just a waste of capacity. I'm not making large batches of ammo. I think the most I have of any particular load is 100 or 150 rounds (maybe a max of 200 per-cartridge). Aside from a couple .38 Special loads, everything else is in a near-constant state of tinker.

That said, I see where you're coming from. After loading as long as you (you curmudgeonly old dog ), you've settled on the loads you like. If I were in that position, I'd want a progressive, too. Knock out a year's worth of loading in a couple days over the winter.