View Single Post

Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fowler View Post
They tell me the rounds are OOB, I know that not one of them fired out of battery.

My gun smith and I have been working with it for some time, tried to make some fire OOB and can't make it happen.

We have come up with the following hypothesis: The round comes into battery, fires and the bullet starts down the barrel, the pressure is too great and the action opens before the bullet has left the barrel, therefore the case is the weakest point and it blows.

We have pulled bullets and tried to make 22 rim fires fire OOB and can't make it happen in a well made firearm.

Overcharges simply blow the case, sometimes damage the firearm.

Some cartridges detonate, in my experience these are very loud, produce much black smoke that blows out of the action, depending on the firearm some out of the trigger, sends extractors flying, damages actions and barrels. I feel these are double charges or more of priming compound.

Mistakes are going to happen both in the firearms and in the ammunition, I just hate to see the firearms makers take the mistakes of the ammunition folks on the chin.
I believe there is merit in your theory as to a "hot" load blowing back the bolt before the bullet leaves the barrel which could cause the case to eject prematurely and explode. My Victory amazed me the other day by auto-cycling CCI 710 fps Quiets. It wasn't a fluke either, multiple magazines with and without suppressor installed. First auto 22 I have ever shot that would do this without considerable work to lighten the bolt and springs. S&W might want to look at the factory spring and make it a tad heavier, although i really like it.