View Single Post

Old 12-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
That's my point. Although I don't understand the bolded part, unless you're suggesting that the progressive is something one would inevitably want, which I don't agree with. But you did hit on convenience. I think it's a lot simpler to run a turret than a single-stage, and more convenient. If you have to stop halfway through a session with a turret or a progressive, you just have an odd box of ammo and a hopper to empty. If you're on a single-stage, that's a bit more of a problem.

But yeah, I think going from 75 an hour to a very comfortable 150 or so is a big deal. I also think that going from 150 to 400 an hour (turret to progressive) is a big deal.

But for somebody like me, that's just a waste of capacity. I'm not making large batches of ammo. I think the most I have of any particular load is 100 or 150 rounds (maybe a max of 200 per-cartridge). Aside from a couple .38 Special loads, everything else is in a near-constant state of tinker.

That said, I see where you're coming from. After loading as long as you (you curmudgeonly old dog ), you've settled on the loads you like. If I were in that position, I'd want a progressive, too. Knock out a year's worth of loading in a couple days over the winter.
The comment is for those that buy 4-5 Lee LM or SDB & leave them set up, that I don't understand. I have a huge reloading are, 8'-16', 10' bench, I can only get three presses on it with room to work.
I am not saying everyone should go out & sell there turret or ss press. The comment are from a very exp reloader to guys upgrading or starting out. To me, a turret isn't worth even the $100 to just double my ss output. Plus I am still doing the identical amount of work/handle pulling. So a progressive w/o case feeder is a more logical cost step up from a ss press. Again, use it fast or slow, doesn't matter, you are still doing less work. After 300k rds, you will appreciate not pulling the handle so much. What is that 900k-1.2m handle pulls?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Makes my shoulder & wrist hurt just thinking about it.
FWIW, I don't sit down & load 1000s of rounds. I rarely reload for more than an hour. That is about where my attention span starts to go with repetitive motions. So the other benefit of the progressive is being able to give 100% attention to detail for a shorter period of time & still have a decent amount of ammo at the end. I am quite happy to slip off to the man cave for 30m & load 200-300rds of ammo once a week. I then reserve my other "free" time to do things like cast & coat my own bullets. More time consuming but oddly more satisfying.

Last edited by fredj338; 12-29-2016 at 03:05 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: