View Single Post

Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Liked 5,580 Times in 1,609 Posts

There are several variations of safety levers that were used during the C96's production span. I would first get a positive ID on what you need and then find the correct part. There are a couple of very well done disassembly/assembly videos on Youtube. Here are a couple to watch:

Once you get it apart and detailed cleaned, examine the bolt for cracks and especially the bolt stop. Check the bolt face for heavy pitting, an oversize firing pin hole or signs that it has been piercing primers. Check the firing pin tip for proper shape. It's probably a good idea to order a set of new Wolff springs as long as you have it apart. Whatever you do, make sure that you don't install the rocker coupling backwards, the crescent shaped part needs to point towards the muzzle. Check the takedown latch for cracks and proper operation, i.e. that it moves back downward and locks the subassembly securely within the receiver.
If you have one of the heavily used imported guns from China that came in back in the 1990's you may want to have a pro go through it. Otherwise it's not a difficult one to take apart and look for obvious issues.
Edited to add: There was a place known as The Broom Closet or The Gun Rack in Florida that specialized in reworking and repairing broomhandles but I am not sure if he is still in business. I was unable to find an online listing for them.

Last edited by Walter Rego; 12-28-2016 at 09:09 PM.