View Single Post

Old 12-29-2016, 05:42 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The comment is for those that buy 4-5 Lee LM or SDB & leave them set up, that I don't understand. I have a huge reloading are, 8'-16', 12' bench, I can only get three presses on it with room to work.
I am not saying everyone should go out & sell there turret or ss press. The comment are from a very exp reloader to guys upgrading or starting out. To me, a turret isn't worth even the $100 to just double my ss output. Plus I am still doing the identical amount of work/handle pulling. So a progressive w/o case feeder is a more logical cost step up from a ss press. Again, use it fast or slow, doesn't matter, you are still doing less work. After 300k rds, you will appreciate not pulling the handle so much. What is that 900k-1.2m handle pulls?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Makes my shoulder & wrist hurt just thinking about it.
FWIW, I don't sit down & load 1000s of rounds. I rarely reload for more than an hour. That is about where my attention span starts to go with repetitive motions. So the other benefit of the progressive is being able to give 100% attention to detail for a shorter period of time & still have a decent amount of ammo at the end. I am quite happy to slip off to the man cave for 30m & load 200-300rds of ammo once a week. I then reserve my other "free" time to do things like cast & coat my own bullets. More time consuming but oddly more satisfying.
I don't mind the handle-pulling, but I think I'm no more than half your age. So call me again in 300k rounds and see where my position on handle-pulling is! I also don't shoot as much as you, I think. A couple hours a month, split between actual reloading and maintenance/study, keeps me fed.

What I hate is extra operations. I loaded my first couple boxes in single-stage mode, batch processing. I hated it. Then the spring on the small primer trigger for my primer feed bent. I loaded a couple boxes of .38 without it, and hated that, too. I definitely think I'd hate the Lee Turret if it didn't have auto-indexing.

That's what I feel the big difference between the SS and the turret is. Not just the rounds-per-hour.