View Single Post

Old 12-30-2016, 02:38 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Thank you for the replies. It will mostly be a home defense and fun target gun. Coyote hunting will be done but not as avidly as we deer hunt.

I do tend to over analyze things and I am aware of that. I realize that there are many variables and it is difficult to provide a definitive answer. I am hoping to find someone who has shot both guns and can speak to their relative accuracy. I know that the guy behind the trigger often has the biggest effect on accuracy. Given that, however, if a competent marksman shoots both guns they are able to identify which one provides the best groups at a specific distances and when one gun starts to open up given a specific grain round.

If all 1:9 and 1:8 refers to is the weights of bullets the AR can stabilize well then my question would be does the Sport II stabilize 55 grain rounds at 200 yards comparable to the AR556? I know that the faster spin can keep a bullet stabilized longer, though at the yardages I am interested in the two twists rates may not show appreciable differences. I hope I am making sense and not just running in circles.

I never had issues with this before as my 22/250 and 270 were gifted to me and were proven tack drivers. This is my first foray into making the purchase myself and out of these two guns I want to make the best choice possible. As I said, all things equal, I would already have the Sport II. If the Sport II can comparably shoot out to 200 yards with 50 - 55 grain rounds and group comparably to what the AR556 could then my decision is made.