View Single Post

Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM

Liked 1,023 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRippert View Post
< snip > Trigger is sweet and I look forward to carrying this one. Need to get some of the .38 Special +P 158gr rounds for it.
As you will find, if you don't know it already, the magnum length J frames will almost completely extract a 38 Special case. On those occasions when I practice a fast reload, I find this to be a benefit of magnum frames over the 1/4 inch shorter-barreled 38 Special models.

I always thought a 38 Special 158g +P was perfectly sufficient for self defense purposes, but if you think you need more the Buffalo Bore 158g +P is even more potent than other commercial +P rounds with the same bullet. The standard pressure BB 158g load exactly equals Remington's (much cheaper) +P round in my guns, while the BB +P with a gas check on the same bullet is almost 200fps faster out of a 2" barrel. And if you need bragging rights, that BB +P 38 matches the velocity of BB's low recoil 357 Magnum round with the same bullet, so you can honestly tell your buddies that you're carrying "357 Magnum power," all the while getting the easier extraction of the shorter 38 cases. A win-win, for those who keep score.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: