View Single Post

Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 PM

Liked 57 Times in 18 Posts
Default So....I'm waiting for the "Magnum" in .357 Magnum

Ladies and Gents,
I've owned and reloaded for a 6" Model 28-2 the past two years. In an attempt to minimize the battering to this revolver while attempting to keep performance up, I've limited myself to 158gr plated bullets from Xtreme and powders like 2400 and IMR4227. I've read the posts about the performance (on the plus side) and wear and tear (on the negative side) that W296/H110 can have on revolvers, especially with the lighter bullets - so I've steered clear of those. After all, this forum's namesake ain't making any new P/R revolvers and the ones out there ain't getting any cheaper! All this being said, I'm waiting for the "magnum" to show up in the .357! I've been loading 16.0 grains of 4227 w/ mag primer and 15.0 grains of 2400 w/standard primer and have been getting ~1200fps+/- out of the loads. There is no massive recoil snap or muzzle rise. You can tell when you light one off but nothing that makes me think "magnum."

Before I start a flame war about this powder or that load or just to go to a .44 Maggie, I want to defer to the "old hats" and reloaders that are more experienced than I. Am I doing anything wrong with these loads? Am I expecting too much? When I pull the trigger on this ~44oz beauty of 'Merican ingenuity, I don't get the feel of overwhelming 38 caliber "power." Yes, it is a heavy revolver but, I'm just not getting the sense of power that I'm expecting out of the world's first magnum cartridge and the most powerful commercial magnum for 20 years.

Any sage advice or recommendations are welcome. I like the .357 Magnum and what it means to the revolver community. I just want to make sure that I am expecting the correct performance out of the cartridge and not making overly presumptive demands on it. Thanks and Happy New Year!!!