View Single Post

Old 01-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Liked 87 Times in 28 Posts
Default Push-off & Safety

Somewhere on one of the many forums, posts, comments I read concerning S&W revolvers, I remembered reading about push-off, or the breaking of the cocked hammer by thumb pressure alone. I never really gave it much thought but last night, I thought I would check my 66 out. To my dismay, it may have taken seven to ten pounds of pressure to break the hammer. (Of course, the gun was unloaded)
I'm no gunsmith but I do know how to use Google & everything I read, reminded me that I'm no gunsmith. The concensus was, no amount of push-off is acceptable & could be caused by a plethora of reasons (ok...a few) that I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to amend.
I guess the reason I'm posting this is two-fold. One, is this gun still safe to shoot in both DA & SA, or just DAO, or two, is it a paperweight until I get a gunsmith to address the issue?
I know opinions are well intended & every one is appreciated, I have my own...but I've seen opinions varying from don't worry about it, to worry about it...a lot, so I'm asking for more of an experienced imput about the seriousness of this. I'm not looking for free fix instructions...I believe people need to be paid for their knowledge...but a professional voice would not be ignored. Thank you all in advance & I hope this didn't come across as smart-assed.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk