View Single Post

Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Liked 6,925 Times in 3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
I hope that the extra expansion from a heavier bullet that is designed to 'blow up' at that velocity will make up for bore. And pretty much limiting this to close range, SD work makes the math much easier.

I think in a battle situation it should have the effective range of a .45, being that it's moving at the same velocity and it's only proportioned a little longer than a typical bullet. i think that the long 'waterline' should actually help. That's a good point though. If this is viable, it would be cool to work out the SD and BC. Most importantly I expect that it would be effective in practical, real life encounters.

I should be able to work out a profie fairly easily. And make it look like a Gold Dot in the nose.
BC isn't a real factor until significant range variations are part of the equation ... contact to 25Y really isn't significant as the velocity loss is within the extreme spread of most pistol loads.
Sectional density is a huge player in governing penetration.

I found three different formulas that I rendered in C++ software years ago that supposedly tried to determine the best load for a given application.
Taylor Knockout was one and two other systems ...
they may agree on things like mass, SD, velocity and bore being part of the equation, but none agree on how they are to be structured into the equation. As such, they give three different opinions.
in actual testing, one can see how they all do try to conjure up a straight answer but really end up forming an over intellectualized caliber war.
Its not unlike a Ford vs Chevy debate ...
best way to end one is to drive away in a Ferrari
While I favor 45, if the difference between them really becomes make or break ... you really need a rifle

Last edited by venomballistics; 01-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: