View Single Post

Old 01-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

Back when I was competing in and practicing for IPSC and IDPA, there were a few years that I shot upwards of 30,000 times per year. I never had more than 500 rounds of 45 acp brass dedicated to this effort. I reloaded cases until they split. Many cases went into the 30 count and a few went into 40 times. Mind you these loads were all loaded to make the 'major' category in muzzle energy. I was using a taper crimp and loading with RCBS carbide die on a Dillon 550. When 10 or 20 cases were split and tossed I would add that same amount of new cases to the lot. There was a definite difference in longevity with regard to the manufacturer. I had my best performance with Winchester Western and Remington brands. Up to about the number 10 I could count the number of times a brass had been fired by counting the imprints of the Colt M 1911 ejector rod on the rim of the case. After that it became too obliterated to read much of anything. I used WW and Rem. primers thru that time and never had one slam fire. But I kept on top of my M 1911 maintenance and always had strong firing pin springs installed.

An aside; I saw two 45 acp barrels break off at the first locking lug and spit out on the ground during competition. I saw several frames that cracked usually at the opening for the slide stop. I saw one slide break at the ejection port opening. I saw many extractors and ejectors break. Front sights were always disappearing. Most all those problems were solved within a few years after USPSA/IPSA competition began.

My last two years of competition I used .38 Supers. That brass lasted about 1/2 to 2/3rds as long as 45 acp did on the average. And the locking lug area of the 38 Super barrels showed considerable more battering than the 45 acps did.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: