View Single Post

Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Liked 87 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorer951 View Post
I guess my question for the OP would be....were there any "symptoms" exibited by the gun that would indicate there was a problem with the single action prior to your test for push off?

The S&W armorer's manual describes the pressure used to test the hammer trigger interface as "nominal". (whatever that is) Having some experience with testing for, and repair of this condition, I would estimate this pressure as 4 - 6 pounds. Excessive pressure should not be used as this can damage the very sharp bevel on the trigger.

Revolvers suffering from push off will usually also exhibit specific symptoms of the problem, including a "mushy" (opposite of crisp) and very light SA trigger let off.....below 2.5 lbs.

Symptoms can manifest themselves after years and years of heavy use, build up of dirt, debris or old/improper lubricants.....or from modification of factory installed components, including the mainspring, mainspring strain screw, rebound slide spring, or the hammer/trigger SA interface. (or combination of these factors)

If there are no other obvious mechanical or felt symptoms indicating a problem with the hammer and trigger, and the internals are confirmed clean and properly lubricated, perhaps a better test to check the integrity of the single action for most revolver owners would be to simply use a quality trigger pull gauge. Factory minimum recommended SA pull is 3 pounds.
As I stated in my first post, I estimated the push at about 7-10 lbs., which apparently, is more than needed for the test. As another poster suggested, it shouldn't break at any push (at least, that's how I interpreted it), so that concerned me. Now, you say 4-6lbs. should be a better indicator. It's not exhibited any other signs like a mushy pull or anything. I had just read about push-off on another article & thought I would check mine.
I haven't had the cover plate off but I can to do a visual & check the spring screw for any backing off but I'm not confident enough to start taking things out & checking for any chipped or rounded edges. I haven't just kept pushing to check it so I doubt I've overdone it to the point of MAKING it fail. Like I said earlier, I did check it this morning with lighter pressure with no problems, so hopefully, I just need to quit reading so much & creating problems that may not exist...but I love reading about my guns. 🙄

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk