View Single Post

Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Liked 29,232 Times in 13,818 Posts
Default I MAY....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Ed View Post
. I believe that a 165 gr. bullet or maybe slightly heavier would be able to do this. ( per #1 post )

Actually the 158gr plated RN is the largest bullet that fits in the 9mm case with a maximum seating of .300", if used.

Some 165gr bullets are .733" in length and need 1.185" OAL for safe case pressures.
Plus I don't see where the little 9mm case would gain that much with the added 10grs of weight.

Then there is getting the lead soft enough and the jacket thin enough to expand at 850fps out of a 4" barrel or less.

I am waiting to see how the 158gr Fiocchi does, if used enough or put to the gel test and posted on youtube.
I'll be looking forward to that. I MAY stop short of 165, I mainly want a heavier bullet than is out there. I just figure that it needs to do 830 or better. And yeah, COAL and bullet depth are big consideration. I'll probably seat them out as much as possible until I get a handle on what's going on. And if Fiochi has a 158 I'd like to look at it myself, because it may save some incremental steps before I get to the UNKNOWN.

I worked 14 hours today trying to replace front doors to the point where I could secure them. Not much time for dreaming and testing today.