View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Liked 25,616 Times in 8,661 Posts

IF you have the ability, skills, patience and tools you are better off learning how to repair mechanical items yourself. Weather it's a car, a home appliance, a gun or what ever, there is no one who will take the time, care, interest and precision to repair things the way the owner can - assuming money is not unlimited and the owner is a perfectionist (or at least close to being one)

For the most part if an item (including guns of course) that is functioning properly and as designed, the saying "leave well enough alone" means a lot. Because Smith & Wesson repairs less and less vintage guns each year due to parts scarcity, lost knowledge and skills at the Factory or what ever, means that all of us collectors and owners will eventually need to become self sufficient or find someone who is an expert and not only repairing older guns but in either finding old original parts or having the ability to make them.

Not that I am a fan of hoarding, but a collector of let's say S&W K Frames would be well served having a few hammers, triggers, springs, screws, grips, hands, etc. available if and when they are needed to repair a coveted Revolver. The time to have common back up parts in your tool box is while they are still available - not parts to build entire guns out of but just the common ones that are routine wear items and parts that commonly break. "Cornering the market" on parts is NOT necessary, but just a few of the common ones is certainly not a bad idea.

The skills of being self sufficient in this Country are definitely a dying a rapid death and that is one of the very reasons why we have become a disposable society.

I am sure there are many here in this Forum who repair and rebuild their own guns, cars, motorcycles, appliances etc. and know what I am talking about. Not a bad trait to have! Of course diagnosing the problem in the first place is sometimes that hardest part of any repair job - but that comes with experience and knowledge.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: