View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Liked 7,086 Times in 3,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
But yeah, that little 9mm case fills up a LOT faster than a .38. I One thing I have in my favor is that bigger bullets take less powder than their smaller, faster velocity counterparts.

What's not in my favor is that in the small case, the pressure may build exponentially and really draw the line. The 158 grain that is already manufactured, isn't a common or popular round, so that indicates that this wouldn't be all that popular, which is probably why companies don't produce this round.

Anyway, if it proves to be useless, impractical or impossible at least we'll know.
This part of the post is the most relevant. I think what was proposed is possible. Is it a worthwhile idea. Maybe not. With all the niche companies and the big ones too there would be loads commercially available. The small 9mm case and the length of the magazines conspire against heavy long bullets in the caliber. The debate on the 9mm and 45 has been raging for decades(well maybe not raging). If it were economically and physically possible it would already be done. Develop a new case and a new gun or two do some realistic work and you could get the 9mm to almost equal the 45 loaded with the same style bullets at about the same velocity. Again physics raises it's ugly head. Remember the Winchester 9mm mag?? it could maybe be used as a basis for this. But then again..they made the 45 Win Mag at the same time. I'm not saying the 9mm is useless. I'm just saying anything you do to the 9mm to make it more effective and "equal" the 45 can also be done to the 45 to make it a "better" round. The debate will still continue. Part of the biggest problems facing both is the fact that because of the Geneva Convention militaries have to use FMJs. The 9 will never be able to equal anything larger with those restrictions. But then again..the 45 is hampered by the same rules. Which raises some questions about modern warfare I think I want to address in a different post
The Following User Likes This Post: