View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Liked 251 Times in 67 Posts

I was involved in two attempted muggings as the 'victim' when still in college, not long after hurricane Katrina. Neither incident involved firearms fortunately, however one resulted in a broken nose and another in a tetanus shot for a good cut across the back of my hand. Those were somewhat foolhardy incidents, young and walking alone well after dark in less than great sections of my then current city.

The other day was altogether different, and in some measure very strange, although I actually attribute those old mugging incidents in part to staying calm during the issue. While parking in the middle of the day in a very high end retail area of the city I turned to find a well dressed but disoriented looking/enraged young man, early to mid 20s, walking up to my then-down driver's window, cursing loudly and making various gestures at me. Apparently, from what I could understand (curses aside, he seemed to be slurring), he thought I had 'stolen' the parking spot from him. Having learned since my youth to just avoid trouble when possible I started to simply offer him the spot, no hard feelings, when he reached into the car attempting to swing at my face. An older woman, no idea if any relation, was shouting at him to calm down, but after missing a solid hit on my face he leaned out of the car and reached for his right jacket pocket; before he could pull whatever it was out however he looked up to see myself calmly sitting with my usual car gun, a Glock 19, not aimed in any way nor finger on the trigger, simply firmly held well within the car, at which point I attempted to explain that if he tried to enter our vehicle or touch either of us (my fiancee being in the passenger seat at the time) again he would at the least be going to jail. On seeing this he rapidly ran/staggered away, still cursing, with the woman trailing after him, probably towards whatever vehicle he or they had been in. We left the area immediately and reported the incident, although I don't expect anything to come of it.

All in all, a strange way to begin the new year, to say the least, and an excellent reminder that when one can be armed, one should be armed.

Stay safe my friends, and again, may we all have a wonderful 2017.

Last edited by kip595; 01-03-2017 at 05:36 PM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: