View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 39,093 Times in 9,967 Posts

Just a couple random thoughts. Not telling anyone what to do or making judgements. I personally don't want a gun with any serial number problems.

What % current Leos have even held or shot a model 28-2?

How many know the correct method that older S&W were stamped?

How does anyone know it wasn't re stamped at some point by a gunsmith when that was still allowed?

I came across a K frame fixed sight 32 that had a punched out serial number and another stamped on grip frame at a pawn shop. Shop owner said it came from Sherriffs office and had been done by them for some reason. I walked away for a couple reasons, possible hassle (even if remote) of owning a remarked serial number gun even if legal, resale on such a gun would suck even if legal. Plus, just to look of the punched out numbers just turned me off.

Even if you have a legally restamped gun are you supposed to have a stack of documentation? Where does it say in the regulations that such documentation would be required after re stamping?

Never had anyone check my guns serial number, hunting, stopped by LEO while driving with guns in the car, at range even while competing in events with LEOs. But, then this is Montana and guns don't have seem to get much attention from LEOs.

There was someone posting on here a while back who had a gun with a messed up serial number who knew the local sheriff and sheriff was going to try to work it out with BATF. I wish he would give an update.