View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Liked 7,746 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected One View Post
May I respectfully disagree. Being full-time is not what determines when a business becomes a business. If he was making holsters for a profit, even though on a part-time basis....that is when his business started. Even if it may not have been incorporated until later.
And I respect that view. Personally and professionallly I don't follow that view and although I began making holsters professionally (made to order and got paid for them) by 1968, they weren't world class until I went to work for John in 1970 after realising that I didn't need to reinvent the wheel -- I could learn from the Master instead! So I only count 1970 onwards for myself. At some point, one amasses so much experience that having the need to claw back a few years (or more) because the market simply doesn't know any better, is unseemly. Heiser himself counted his years as an apprentice for his company founding date (which was incorporated after he died!) and Myres did the very same (founding date, incorporation). Does it count as experience? Sure. Does it mean the company can claim its founding date that way -- it's quite literally untrue.