View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Liked 9,427 Times in 4,225 Posts

Steelslaver,

I don't know how others do it, but the caliber markings on the right side of my donor 617 barrel seemed to be etched (not rolled) very shallowly and Andy just polished them off and replaced them with similar style and depth etching (acid? laser?) with the new caliber and his name to provide great provenance for the work. I posted a picture of the new markings in my Project 616 thread, but will try to shoot a close-up of it when I can.

As for cost, I itemized that in the original thread as well. If I had been required to write a single check for a turnkey job, I could probably never have afforded it, but by carefully shopping myself for the barrel and cylinder and using a gun I already owned as the donor, it wasn't such a big pill to swallow all at once.

I too heard that Delta Guns was no longer available to do reboring... Andy wouldn't even talk about sleeving a barrel for the high pressure of a 327 FM, but my e-friend "crank" on the Cast Boolits Forum built one using a technique similar to the one you describe. If anyone is interested I'll try to post a link to that thread. I'm thinking that the full (to the threads) diameter barrel "liner" would be about as strong as the regular barrel, but I'm not as confident about the liner (per discussion with Andy Horvath.) I've heard there are some other folks doing reboring, but nothing definite yet.

Froggie

Last edited by Green Frog; 01-04-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Correction and additions