View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM

Liked 934 Times in 496 Posts

I have shot up many rounds of old ammo over the years. Was heavy into collecting military surplus guns some years ago and bought all kinds of old surplus ammo. Have shot stuff from many different eras and found most of it to still be good, functional ammo. The OP's stuff I wouldn't consider to be old at all. I recently shot up some 1913 dated DWM 7mm Mauser, every round I tried fired (I did save a few of the best looking ones for my cartridge collection).

Even though the great days of cheap surplus seem to be over there is still a lot of old ammo floating around gun shows, flea markets and garage sales. Key thing is to always inspect anything you buy before shooting any of it. If I suspect handloads or see signs of corrosion (especially green crud around primer or bullet) it's going to get pulled down for components (easy enough since I am a reloader myself). I have run across dead primers occasionally and a few split necks on firing but really not all that many considering the amount of old ammo I have gone through over the years.
The Following User Likes This Post: