View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Liked 79 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

The "correct" procedure for the Colt is to attempt to stretch the hand IF POSSIBLE, rather than replace it, because there's a LOT of fitting involved in fitting a new Colt hand....
Apologies for dredging up an old thread, I found it when looking for info about repairing Colt timing. I was going to PM, but there was no option for you for me to do so.

Can Colt hands be micro-welded to build up the worn spot on the hand tip where the final push comes from?

As to micro-welding, I took a barrel/flash suppressor to a welder to weld the pin into the flash suppressor, it was a 1/8" pin cut flush with the surface of the flash suppressor. I thought hed simply make a tack, but he micro-welded it on the edge of the pin all the way around it, the bead in a tiny circle can easily be seen when he was done. I had no idea such fine work was possible. I mention it because it would seem possible to build up the tip of the hand without heating it up too much. Is this a viable method to get a Colt that's late timed back in operation?

I was surprised at how reasonably priced many older Colt revolvers are, though the lack of parts and gunsmiths that can work on them, and the number of them Ive seen out of time have me hesitant to get too interested unless I knew there was a way I could work on them or get them affordably re-timed.

The book is good advice, though I'm curious if micro-welding the hand is a viable method before proceeding with the book and gun.