View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
My wife is not a gun gal by any means, but is fairly well versed in using a revolver and her gun of choice used to be a 3" model 60, but after seeing her panic and keep wanting to cock it during what we thought might be a possible home invasion, I switched it out for a 640. After getting her CCW, it proved too heavy for all day carry and she has since gone to a 642.

I agree with the points Mas makes in this article... The Real Ladies Gun -- Handguns
Excellent points, and good article, MisterX, and after spending 40 years as a firearms instructor, I agree with most of what Mas has to say as well. I'll probably get into hot water over what I'm about to say but here goes: As a general observation, I have had more luck "instructing" women than men. This is not always the case, but women are more generally amenable to instruction than men. Men are more likely to believe that they were born knowing how to shoot, and are thus reluctant to accept that anyone might know something they don't, and so are more resistant to accepting new techniques or strategies. Women are usually more willing to learn a new skill without feeling that it somehow makes them inferior that they weren't born knowing how to shoot well.

With that said, my GF is a pretty good shot, and since I have lots of different kinds of handguns available, and she could have taken her pick of any of them for her own, I think that it is interesting to see which one she chose. Remember, I have semi autos, in half a dozen calibers, and dozens of revolvers in everything from .22 up to .44 Mag.

She chose a model 10 snubby 2" .38 Special. This is a gun that she feels that she can shoot well, and the weight of the steel K frame gives her confidence and control, and allows more practice with less discomfort. She has a broad range of loads to choose from, and she knows that I reload for the caliber and there is always plenty of ammo for practice. We live out in the boondocks, so she can shoot anytime she wants to.She loves this gun. Also, she has some physical problems with nerve damage, and this gun is one that she handles best.

She has already ran off one would-be burgler with it. I'll probably never get it back now.

Last edited by les.b; 01-04-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add photo
The Following 2 Users Like Post: