View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Liked 19,896 Times in 8,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSig View Post
Not to hijack the thread but you have to be careful doing it this way. One issue with this approach with gun is that you are possibly putting yourself in the position of making a straw purchase. The ATF typically follows the flow of the $$$ when determining who the is the "actual purchaser" of a the firearm on the 4473.

You are the actual purchaser if you are buying it with your money with the intention of giving the gun to someone as a gift as long as that person is not "prohibited".

You however are not the "actual buyer" of the firearm if you fill out the 4473 and then someone else pays for the gun with their $$ or you pay for the gun with the $$ they give you. If money changes hands in front of the dealer they have every cause to reject the sale.

If you want to go this route I suggest letting the husband purchase the gun with cash in his possession before you enter the store or with his own credit card which the wife can later pay the bill on.
WVaSig.......I was focused on helping KEwer ( the very thoughtful wife) assure her husband gets the "AR configured as he wants"; without just giving him an envelope of cash.

Always assumed the husband would shop for and buy the AR he wants ( LOL within the gift budget) and do the paperwork ( 4473/ in Pa we also have a state form ) as the buyer......

With KEwer reimbursing him later, putting the money in a joint account prior to the purchase, or giving him cash ...

Also keep in mind most LGS and big box store sell "Gift Certificates" which are given as gifts..... and later used by a 3rd party toward a firearm purchase.........

But your warning is appropriate and timely.

In my experience red flags go up when "the Guy" ..... shows up with his "Girlfriend".......says "buy that one!" ( Glock 17/19) and then has the lady friend start the paperwork. Seen numerous "Gift purchases" over the years with Wives , Husbands and Grandparents......especially where the couple are known...... as KEwer seems to be.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 01-04-2017 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: