View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts

Cabin Cowboy,

This is how I do it on my turret. I have an autodrum powder measure on the expander die.

I leave the shell in the turret for all operations except one. That is weighing every 10th. I pull the empty primered case, tare the case weight on my electronic scale, throw the powder and reweigh the case. This gives me the weight of the powder alone. The case with the powder goes back in the press and continues operations.

For shallow cases, like 9mm, I can see into the case far enough to determine powder level with the case in the press. With deep cases, like .38/.357, I use a powder cop die. Every case goes up into the powder cop, even if I have weighed it. I can easily see deviations from the adjusted norm. Yes, it means I take one of the 4 positions in my turret. I can either seat an crimp in one die, or decap/size in a separate operation before loading. I do this for my .357 going into my lever rifle. I had some occasional feed issues when the rifle was new, and felt an FCD might make them chamber easier. I use the .38 turret and batch decap/size all my .357s prior to a loading session. Adds a little time to the process, but overall, I am still way ahead of the game with the turret over the SS.

I've thought about going back to seat and crimp with one die in .357 and add the decap die to the turret. I don't think I will have feed issues at this stage of the game without using the FCD.