View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,216 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Rancid Oil Finish

My problem is the oil that was used to treat the leather to give it the medium brown/ russet color and finish has turned rancid after about 5 years of use.

The holster and extra mag carrier have spent the last 10 days sealed in a plastic bag filled with baking soda. Opened them up today and find it has not helped.

Anybody got any ideas?

Update: Took the holster and mag carrier out of the baking soda yesterday (4-10-17). The smell is mostly gone, but the leather is somewhat dried out. I put a coat of clear Kiwi polish on them and today they are much better. They are in a bag with some coffee now. I now think this salvage project is going to work. I'll post when it comes out of the coffee.

Thanks to all for the great input.

Update to update

Well the coffee did nothing, pro or conn, for the problem. It has been sitting on top of a tall chest where the ceiling fan can blow on it and it is beginning to loose some of the smell. It is still a little dried out, but some conditioner will fix that.

It, after all the treatments, is a little tight on the gun and very tight on the mag carrier. they will need a full break-in period before use.

Oh well, what is life with-out a holster project going on.

Last edited by REM 3200; 09-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: