View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 10:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,296 Times in 4,529 Posts

Hey!!! Welcome to the forum!!! I have a bunch of .32s, and I love loading for, and shooting them. And if that was all I could get my hands on, I would use the caliber. But as has been noted, there are better choices.

When Teddy Roosevelt was Police Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, he chose the .32 Colt as the departments first standardized revolver. I don't think they still use them, though (joke). The .32 s were originally made on the I frame, then on the improved I frame, and finally, on the J frame.

I like these little guys a lot. Here are a few...

Two .32 Hand Ejectors. Top gun is from 1923, and the bottom gun is from 1957:

Colt made some little charmers as well...here's a Pocket Positive from about 1922, in what Colt called the .32 Colt New Police, but it is interchangeable with the .32 Long, by the way, this is the model and caliber that J. Edgar Hoover carried most of the time:

As far as the police are concerned, here's a Smith and Wesson "Regulation Police" .32 from the Twenties:

By the way, they kept making these for quite a while, this one is stamped 31-1, but the box still calls it Regulation Police some 50 years after the one shown above:

And here's another little .32.... A "Pre Model 30 from 1954:

I have a few more in this caliber, but as you can see, I love them!!! Wonderful shooting, low recoil, very accurate, and as Malamute points out below, make a great "geezer gun". Do I carry them all the time? No. But would I rather have one than throw rocks,? Yes. The more modern ones can be safely loaded to a more effective level than the older versions, and with a proper bullet, would make a decent self defense round. Remember, placement is the key. A very accurate cartridge that hits where it is supposed to is certainly better than a heavy bullet that misses the target.

If you have one....have some fun with it!!

Best Regards, Les

Last edited by les.b; 01-05-2017 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Add photos
The Following 11 Users Like Post: