View Single Post

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,295 Times in 4,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Welcome. Not much out there that supports this caliber for a personal carry gun. When I was a teenager, my grandfather had a Forehand Arms company top break in 32 S&W. one day I decided to do a little target shooting, so I propped up a target in front of an oak tree, stepped back about 15 yards and started shooting. I only discharged two rounds before shooting myself in the leg. What actually happened was that the ammo was so weak that it bounced off the tree bark and hit me in the leg. Left a small black-n-blue mark, but no damage.

In the old days, penetration was the best measure of power and one would shoot and determine how much wood a bullet would penetrate. I guess the 32 S&W would rate about zero penetration in wood.

I would definitely not depend on that caliber gun in a life or death situation.
Gary,

I certainly agree with you on the .32 S&W, but the .32 S&W Long, especially loaded to higher velocities, and used in more modern firearms are quite a good bit more potent than the .32 S&W. Some of the more modern Smiths, such as my 31-1 are routinely reamed out to accept the .32 Magnum, and in this configuration, are pretty effective.

But In the interests of full disclosure, I usually carry one of my pocket .357 Magnum Centennials, like my 340 PD, or my 640-1 Pro Series. BTW, the 340 PD is lighter fully loaded than the 2" Pre 30 is when empty!!!

But if all I had was one of the little guys I posted above, I would be in a better position than not being armed at all!!

Best Regards, Les